Saturday 22 March 2014

Step 4 - KCQs for Chapters One and Three


Chapter 1: A way of viewing business
What is accounting about?  Initial reactions are that I wouldn’t say it was simply the manipulation of numbers nor would I say it was about computer software. Thinking about the statement, ‘businesses experience their own realities of what is really happening’, this makes me think of the culture within businesses and how this single factor can bring with it, for example, a high over turn of staff. It could also bring stagnant ideas from people who might lead to ‘old ways of thinking’ and I’m not sure businesses like this cannot survive in an evolving world.
What is captured in a firm’s reports and why it is captured appeals to me. I wonder what things get left out and for what reason. And, what gets put in for purposes of ‘looking good’.
I am still lacking in an understanding of the terminology used in accounting but understanding this would surely help me understand why certain things are captured and others not.
Understanding the reports appeals highly to me. I am interested in Business; hence the study, and I have just moved organisations so this subject appeals greatly to me. Does this happen?  Will this course teach that or are we to find out that annual reports are a constructed reality that does not allow insights to the business?  What will the outcomes be of this subject?
‘Imagining Business’.  What does this mean? 
The value of businesses, who decides this? 
Real value to others.  Does the tobacco company, with its multi million dollar business create value?  The addicted smoker may say yes, they ‘need’ and value their cigarettes.  What value has this product served society? Does value mean monetary value?  I suppose this is dependent upon the person’s perception for certainly, money is valuable to the majority. Is this sill so at the expense of millions of people’s lives?
Do people learn enough about a business from reading the annual reports to then invest in the company? To put trust in the company? Or is the investment something you would do should you know for certain that the company is moving forward and creating monetary value?
The CEO and CFO of my previous work were Accountants and both really wonderful people. It is interesting that so many Accountants are in charge of business, which absolutely makes sense.
Talking of businesses in a fast moving world. This reminds me of my previous CFO telling me after reviewing the success of a program, ‘numbers don’t lie, so I know the program is doing well’.  This does make sense, as it is certainly true that people lie, and that people manipulate the truth for better outcomes. Numbers don’t lie (or do they?).
Disputes.  How often do these occur?  Clearly, enough to warrant legal documentation to assist where conflict arises. A financially successful business can break down from a dispute.
Actual recordings.  How many firms omit certain things? What type of things? How can we trust that what we read is based on an overall view of the business?
When I read the information about processing, I am very eager to learn more about double entry accounting and believe learning a ‘process’ will be good as I know I can follow processes.
The debits and credits feels a bit foreign and challenges me.  I have been able to learn it and have answered several questions correctly through peer wise but it certainly makes me think.  This concept going to take time to settle.
Remaining aware of the central concepts of accounting is important and reading through Chapter One, I’m grateful of being reminded of that. It is clearly an important point being made and I am concentrating on reflecting on the concepts to really understand them. I appreciate the examples given that apply them to real situations.
I like being reminded of the fluidity of accounting, business and value.
Reading this again (as I’ve read it several times now), I have a clearer understanding of revenue and expenses.  Particularly that cash provided from shareholders goes straight to equity and does not register as far as revenue; it is simply an increase in equity. I have spent some time trying to understand that equity investors are merely moving money around by investing. This is something with which I must remember.
I feel I have gained many insights after reading the chapter and makes me feel as though I have certainly learned many things.

Chapter 3: Introducing financial statements
I’m very eager to get a better idea of the reports and more concepts. The introduction to this chapter makes me feel expectant.
Wishing that there was a concrete way in which financial statements are made but I’m sure I will have a better understanding once we learn more.
Reading further, regarding the marketing, I understand that the annual report of my company is very much marketing. As I do not understand the financial statements greatly, I’ve centred my KCQs about the annual report predominantly on the language, which I understand to be ‘interpretive’.
Reading about the parent company, I’m aware my company, Downer EDI is a parent company to many other companies and I’m now keen to look back at just how many. I’m keen also to see the financial statements as I feel knowing some of this information; I’ll be more ready to ‘read’ them.
If a firm does not have to disclose all of it’s expenses, doesn’t that make it difficult to understand what is really happening?
A lot of the information is starting to have an application as I read on about equity statements. I’m feeling like I can apply this information.
Wow, being introduced to those financial statements is intimidating. It seems there is much to remember! The information does make sense though.
A lot of the information on ratios is interesting but I’m not sure at this point it makes ‘complete’ sense to me. The issues about solvency and do interest me and it’s interesting to know when someone is in a situation where they need to sell their assets. I’m sure we’ll understand more of this in the future.
It is a good point regarding Ryman Healthcare being unable to control housing prices and the people over a certain age wishing to live in residential settings. It reminds me that business is fluid and keeping ahead of trends is essential for success as many things are beyond our control.
The dividends section does make sense to me but I still feel I’d have no idea on which company to buy shares in if I had the money to invest.
Cash flow does make sense to me so I’m pleased. I get the sense that the information is all in the Chapters provided however, I like to read, watch the lecture and then read again. I then like to answer Peerwise Questions and apply the knowledge that brings it all together for me (usually).
At this stage, I’m certainly keen to learn more.


No comments:

Post a Comment