Monday 10 March 2014

Inquest into teenagers death


An inquest is currently underway regarding a teenage staff member of Downer committing suicide after months of torments from fellow staff.  Reading this article is a sad reminder that employers are responsible for workplace culture and the health and safety of staff, including their wellbeing.  Notably the worker states at the end of the article (taken from his court appearance) ''It's just the way it was I guess - it's an old industry that hasn't sort of changed,'' 



http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/alec-meikle-suicide-inquest-continues-into-alleged-bullying-of-downer-edi-employee-20131209-2z1ud.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi Meloday,

    Reading this article subjectively, I feel anger that such people can exist in a workplace with no moral whatsoever, how can they call 'its just the way it was I guess', the teenager was abused verbally, physically and his safety was constantly in jeopardy and to be threatened that a metal dildo was going to stuck up his arse?!! How is that a joke? I hope justice is done for this kids sake especially been a teenager amongst big fellas who think they above the law and joke about it???

    A place I wouldn't want my child to work in. A thorough investigation should be done in my view, perhaps there are other victims who are not that confident to speak out.

    I am so appalled at the story.

    ....oh and I like your blog's block theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sorry, spelt your name wrong. Melody, not Meloday.

      Delete